Spend some time relaxing and exploring Camp Cove - the first landing place for Europeans in Australia. On this walk, you will head across the northern end of Camp Cove Beach, up some steps to follow an old sandstone cobbled road. This road leads to a great vantage point, with views over the Sydney Harbour to the city. This spot is also host to a large (disused) gun, that once defended these shores. Plenty of history and beauty.
Camp Cove is home to a lovely, yellow sand, north-east facing beach. The cove is on the protected side of South Head and is a popular spot for swimming and relaxing on the beach. At the northern end of the beach is a kiosk, toilet block and an entrance to Sydney Harbour National Park. The cove was an important location to the Cadigal (Gadigal) people who gathered fresh water, shellfish, launched their canoes and buried some of their people nearby. This cove is also believed to be the first landing place for Europeans in 1788. The name Camp Cove was given during that landing and appears on the earliest maps of Sydney Harbour.
Camp Cove car park to Camp Cove Beach 0.1km 1 mins
(From S) From the signposted 'Camp Cove Car Park, this walk follows the 'No Through Road' sign to the end of 'Cliff St'. The footpath leads past a 'Camp Cove timeline' information sign then, at the end of the road, turns left, coming to the front of the kiosk at the northern end of Camp Cove Beach.
This cannon was placed here prior to 1890, along with the rest of this gun emplacement and rifle walls. The
emplacement was designed to protect a military jetty and boat shed from the threat of an invasion. The 'Cobblestone Road' beside the cannon was built during the late 1870s or early 1880s and extends from the jetty in Camp Cove up to Hornby Road above. The road was build to carry supplies and ordnance from Camp Cove to the various military installations on south head.
Camp Cove Beach to Cannon 0.1km 3 mins
(From 0.05 km) From the front of Camp Cove Beach kiosk, this walk crosses the beach (keeping the water to your left) and climbs up the timber staircase. From the intersection at the top of the stairs, this walk continues straight, along the timber boardwalk that soon turns into a concrete path. The path soon comes to a wide, cobbled sandstone path that leads up a disused cannon, gun emplacement and great harbour views.