Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Klungkung Palace Historical Majapahit Kingdom

Klungkung has played a most important role in Bali's history. It was the seat of rule of Bali's history. It also seat of rule of Bali's most powerful dynasty of rajas, Dewa Agung, under whom the island was united during a glorious period of rich cultural influence. Gajah Mada, head of Majapahit, pacified and united Bali towards the end of the 13th century, incorporating the island into the Majapahit Empire. He set king Kepakisan, the first Dewa Agung "Great Deity". To rule over the island from his court at Samprangan, near the present town of Klungkung.

The Klungkung kingdom was considered to be the highest and most important of the nine kingdoms of Bali from the late 17th century to 1908. It was the heir of the old Gelgel kingdom, which had dominated the island since long but had broken up in the late 17th century. In 1686 (or, in another version, 1710), Dewa Agung Jambe I, a prince descending from the old Rajas of Gelgel, moved to Klungkung (also known as Semarapura) and built a new palace or puri. Although he did not have the prerogatives of his Gelgel forbears, the new palace maintained a degree of prestige and precedence on the politically fragmented island. The palace was built in square form, being roughly 150 meters on each side with the main gate to the north. It was divided in several blocks with various ritual and practical functions.

Klungkung Palace Historical Majapahit Kingdom
The Klungkung Palace is a historical building complex situated in Semarapura , the capital of the Klungkung regency  on Bali, Indonesia. The palace (puri) was erected at the end of the 17th century, but largely destroyed during the Dutch colonial conquest in 1908. Today the basic remains of the palace are the court of justice, the Kertha Gosa Pavilion, and the main gate that bears the date Saka 1622 (AD 1700). Within the old palace compound is also a floating pavilion, Bale Kambing, which was added in the 1940s.


Post a Comment