Monday, November 28, 2011

Changdeok Palace Popular Changdeokgung

Changdeok Palace (Changdeokgung) is located within a large park in Seoul and is one of the Five Grand Palaces built during Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). Changdeokgung is also known as the East Palace because its location east of Gyeongbok Palace. The literal meaning of Changdeokgung is "Palace of Prospering Virtue."

The Changdeokgung palace was built between Peak Maebong of Mt. Bugaksan in the back and Rivulte Geumcheon having flowing in the front influenced by the principle "baesanimsu" in Feng Shui theory. Contrary to Gyeongbokgung whose main buildings are arranged in accurate architectural principle, however, buildings in Changdeokgung are disposed more freely without a regular system. Though its structure seems chaotic at a glace, all buildings are in harmony with the environment surrounding them.

Changdeok Palace
Changdeokgung was the favorite palace of many kings of the Joeseon Dynasty and still retains many Korean architectural elements dating from the Three Kingdoms of Korea period (1200-1300s). These elements differed from the then-popular and more formal style of times, as seen at Gyeongbokgung (Gyeongbok Palace). One major difference is that the buildings of Changdeokgung blend with the scenery of the area, vice contrasting like the palace at the Forbidden City in China.

Changdeokgung Palace
Construction of Changdeok Palace began in 1405, was completed in 1412, and spanned 110 acres. The Palace was burned down during the Japanese invasion in 1592 and later reconstructed in 1609. Changdeokgung was the site of the royal court and the government until 1872, when the neighboring Gyeongbok Palace was rebuilt. Today, there are 13 buildings remaining on the palace grounds and 28 pavilions in the gardens.

Changdeokgung-Changdeok Palace
The Changdeok Palace was burnt to the ground during the Japanese invasion in 1592 and reconstructed in 1609 by King Seonjo and King Gwanghaegun. The next arson was in 1623 because of King Injo Political Revolt against Gwanghaegun. The palace was also attacked by the Manchu Qing but throughout its history of reconstruction and repair has remained faithful to its original design. Changdeokgung was the site of the royal court and the seat of government until 1872, when the neighboring Gyeongbokgung was rebuilt. Korea's last Emperor, Emperor Sunjong lived here until his death in 1926.


Post a Comment