Macquarie Lightstation The lighthouse was built in 1818 on the cliff top at South Head. Designed by convict architect Francis Greenway, it was constructed of sandstone quarried on site. When the stone began to erode a new lighthouse was built by James Barnet in 1883. The light is now operated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
Governor Lachlan Macquarie initiated a proper lighthouse to replace the warning light. Francis Greenway was commissioned to evaluate sites and options. In July 1816 Macquarie, with the principal engineer Captain Gill, laid the foundation stone for the building intended to be both a signal and lighthouse, and a guardhouse and barracks for a small military detachment.
The Macquarie Lightstation tower and lighthouse at the South Head being now compleated and the Lanthern with Revolving Lights in Readiness to be lighted for the Benefit of Ships or Vessels arriving on the Coast at Night; Notice is hereby given, that the Lights will commence to be regularly exhibited on the Night